Discovery of Self and the Awareness Within

10:42 AM Unknown 0 Comments


Prior to 2016 ringing in, at a coffee night with a few friends, I said that my focus for the new year was going to be 'me' work. 

I try not to succumb to the story I say to myself at this point in my life, which spews off in some fashion as:

How the hell can you go through almost 40 years of your life and not be able to answer the simple question of, "What do you like to do?"
Well frankly I couldn't.  I have spent the majority of my life helping those around me.  My parents, brothers, friends and in later years my children and husband.  These are people I love dearly and I derive great satisfaction in making their life better, wherever I can.  I have done a lot of volunteer work as well; who better to help than those who are in need?  I say this not to toot my own horn, but more to say, I didn't factor in much.  That was of my own choosing.  Not that I wanted to deprive myself, more so I just felt like I was happy when others were too.

I have since had a shift in my thinking.  I am soon to finish my training as a Life Coach who specializes in ADHD and in doing so we needed to go through the process of Personal Transformation.  I've mentioned it before but it truly has been a transformative process.

I have learned some important things about myself.  These things I've learned are derived from my own life experiences, which is so powerful, because it is my own evidence.  I don't have to try and believe it, this new perspective, because to deny it is to deny my own life experience.

This change has also allowed me to see what I am tolerating in my life which drains my energy.  I have an awareness  about my lack of boundaries in some areas of my life and the rigid boundaries I have in place in others.

And so in the midst of this shift I ask myself again, "What is it I like to do, independent from my family, friends or 'shoulds'?  I decided to dedicate 2016 to my journey in exploring that question.  So many times those of us inclined to nurture and support forget about the person doing the nurturing and supporting, ourselves.

I will say that thus far this has been a HUMBLING experience.  I feel pretty vulnerable trying the new things I decided to start with.  I am a perfectionist, there is no room for that in the learning of piano for the first time.  I have high expectations of myself, there is no room for that while throwing clay on a spinning wheel.  I am hard on myself, there is no room for that on the journey of self-discovery.



While I am learning the answer to my question I also see that I need to hold a space of compassion for myself as I do for others.  I need to have patience for my own 'failures' as I learn something new, as I would for my children when they learn something new.

Most of all I feel that learning how to pause  and sit in my old stories, while not taking them on as the truth, will be my biggest work.  Being aware and creating a new story from the old.


Amy May Amy May
ADHD Coach - ADD Academy | Certified Dr. Sears Health Coach | Early Childhood Educator
Breaking Barriers Coaching

As an ADHD Coach and Certified Health Coach, trained by the Dr. Sears Wellness Institute, Amy has the ability to help those with ADHD on different levels. She helps you to build personal goals around areas of strength and to support the unique brain wiring of all clients. Creating the life you envision for yourself is the goal of coaching! Looking at nutrition she helps families and individuals implement an easy to follow lifestyle that helps you tackle food marketing, labelling and choosing foods easily. When what we eat is inline so too is the proper functioning of our neurological pathways, this is of huge benefit with for those with ADHD. While diet won’t be a ‘cure’ it is a huge factor in symptom management and overall wellness.
Email: amy.may@breakingbarrierscoaching.com
Website: www.breakingbarrierscoaching.com

0 comments: